The international community is invited to participate in the GlobalHAB programme, through seeking endorsement of relevant research, monitoring, and modelling activities
Procedures and criterion for obtaining GlobalHAB endorsement of science activities
GlobalHAB will provide an international structure for planning and coordinating international scientific activities related to HABs in aquatic environments and their effects on the environment, and human health and well-being. In addition, GlobalHAB will help provide a framework for national and regional projects to (1) coordinate their activities and, (2) participate in coordinated initiatives of research, observations, and modelling on HABs.
Scientists are invited to participate in GlobalHAB by designing scientific activities in keeping with the goals and objectives of GlobalHAB, by applying for endorsement of such activities, and by participating in framework activities.
The GlobalHAB SSC may endorse already funded projects, project proposals before these are submitted for funding, or even letters of intent. The primary criterion for endorsement is applicability to any of the GlobalHAB Science Plan objectives.
Requests for endorsement are initiated by submission of the accompanying application form, emailed to the Chair of the GlobalHAB SSC. GlobalHAB SSC members will comment on the application within ten working days. The GlobalHAB chair (or vice-chair, if the chair is unavailable) will then assess the comments and make a decision about endorsement. The applicant will be notified no later than three weeks after submission of the request. Notification will be in the form of an official letter on GlobalHAB letterhead, sent via email and followed up with original signed printed copy.
Researchers that participate in the international GlobalHAB programme will receive the following benefits from their association with the programme:
- GlobalHAB will provide the justification and resources for international standardization and intercalibrations of sampling methods, observations, modelling, and toxins quantification worldwide.
- GlobalHAB will assist the efforts of PIs and agencies to secure funding via letters of support and endorsement for research proposals and initiatives.
- GlobalHAB will support the communication and knowledge on HABs to the public, managers, and policymakers.
- GlobalHAB will facilitate establishment of links with other relevant international programmes and related projects also endorsed by GlobalHAB.
- GlobalHAB will facilitate dissemination of project information through newsletters, web site and other communication mechanisms.
- Communication of project progress with the GlobalHAB SSC for inclusion in the newsletters, web sites and other communication mechanisms.
- Acknowledgement of endorsement by GlobalHAB in scientific publications, and provision of copies of scientific publications for listing as GlobalHAB Programme outputs.
To be completed in English and send to the Chair of the GlobalHAB SSC.
For further guidance consult the Chair and/or Vice-chair of the GlobalHAB SSC.
1. PROJECT TITLE:
Planned duration of activity, from : to:
Name and title:
Home page URL: (if applicable)
Other key persons (name, title and institution):
3. PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
Attach brief summary or abstract. One page is sufficient; no more than five pages please.
Project web site (if applicable):
Data management contact (web site and/or contact person, if applicable):
4. BENEFITS FROM GlobalHAB:
Please comment on a) how the activity could benefit from endorsement by GlobalHAB, and b) how the SSC might assist the activity.
5. CONTRIBUTION TO THE GlobalHAB SCIENTIFIC OBJECTIVES AND TOPICS
Indicate how the project contributes to the Implementation of the Objectives of GlobalHAB.
6. LINKAGES WITH OTHER PROGRAMMES:
Is the project part of a National Programme? Yes: ____No: ____ If yes, give title:
Is the activity part of, coordinated with, or affiliated with, other international/regional programs? Yes: ___ No. ____ If yes, give program title:
Has funding been obtained? Yes: No: (Prospective) source(s):
Feel free to attach any additional materials, such as an illustration (graphic/map) to accompany the description of the project on the GlobalHAB web site.